My New Magic Morning Ritual: Turmeric + Ginger Latte
Hello Powerful Plante Lifers!
For those of you who have worked with me before, you know that having a warm beverage in the morning is a must for me. There’s something about it that makes me feel totally taken care of, grounded and connected. I try to never rush it because it’s one of my self-care morning rituals that I take very seriously. I alternate between warm lemon water, warm lemon water + ginger, Matcha green tea, herbal coffee, bulletproof coffee and teas of all different varieties. But lately, I’ve been experimenting with my version of the now famous Turmeric Latte or Golden Milk.
January seems to be the time of year when everyone tries to pay more attention to their body, but let’s be honest here, our bodies are always in need of a little extra kindness + love. And self-care needs to be an all year round kind of practice. I’ve talked about self-care rituals before, and I’ll write more on the importance of morning rituals later. For now, I simply want you to say hello to the newest addition to my morning ritual (and hopefully yours too!), my Turmeric + Ginger Latte.
Well, hey there, good-lookin’!
There’s a good reason this drink so popular right now—it’s damn delish and uber good for you. It’s anti-inflammatory and super healing, and that is something we are all in need of this time of year.
Turmeric is actually a tuber and is quite well-known for its awesome health benefits. This bright orange-yellow spice contains a high content of curcumin, which boosts immune function, reduces inflammation, aids in digestion, gut health, and liver function and even provides protection from some types of cancer. This spice was born in India and centuries ago was crowned as one of the best dosha balancers in Ayurvedic medicine. What better way to start your morning!
So let’s re-cap: it’s delicious and nutritious. It’s a win—win situation. And a great way to break that coffee habit! So, without further ado….drumroll please!
The Plante Life Turmeric + Ginger Latte
• 1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk (preferably homemade or boxed. You can use canned coconut milk, but it will be very rich!)
• 1-2 heaping teaspoons of fresh peeled & grated turmeric root
• 1 heaping teaspoon of fresh, peeled & grated ginger root, more if you like ginger spice! (or 1 teaspoon ground)
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 teaspoons coconut oil
• Raw honey, organic maple syrup or stevia to taste (I use coconut or vanilla stevia)
• Pinch of sea salt
• Warm up the almond or coconut milk in a small saucepan. Don’t let it boil; it will overflow!
• Add turmeric, ginger and cinnamon.
• Gently mix in the coconut oil and heat until melted. Use a wire whisk to stir.
• Stir in honey or sweetener of choice to taste.
• Transfer to blender and blitz until good and frothy!
Note: Make sure to let a lil air escape when blending hot liquids, otherwise you’ll have turmeric splattered walls!
• Sprinkle with cinnamon for a lil extra on top.
• Sip and bliss out!!
Keep in mind turmeric’s bright orange-yellow color! It might stain light colored countertops. It will fade, but it’s good to know ahead of time.
Do you have a favorite morning beverage? Does it help you feel grounded and taken care of? Give this recipe a whirl and let me know what you think in the comments below!
LOVE + LATTES,